Monday, February 4, 2013

How to make your own tartar sauce



I don't know about you, but I like my tartar sauce.  When I have white fish, it always taste better with some sauce to dip it in.




It seems every time I buy tartar sauce, the next time I use it, it is expired and I have to throw it away.  Sorta like all those salad dressing bottles.  I recently cleaned out my salad dressings and found one from 2008!  I swear, I'm usually really good about getting rid of expired things.  Don't know how that slipped by.  So tonight I found myself making fish and once again checking for tartar sauce.  Nope, none to be found.  I was disappointed for a second and then realized I could make up my own with only two ingredients.  



Yep, it's just mayo and relish mixed together.  I didn't measure it, but I'd say a tablespoon of mayo and a teaspoon of relish sounds about right.  You can make as much or as little as you like.  I found a list of ingredients in Hellmann's Tartar sauce.  It's long and scary.

Water, Soybean Oil, Sweet Pickle Relish (Cucumbers, Distilled Vinegar, Sugar, Dextrose, Salt, Xanthan Gum, Mustard Seed, Natural Flavor, Curry Powder), Onions, Sugar, Modified Corn Starch, Vinegar, Egg Yolks, Dijon Mustard (Water, Mustard Seed, Vinegar, Salt, White Wine, Citric Acid, Tartaric Acid, Spices), Salt, Xanthan Gum, (Sorbic Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Calcium Disodium EDTA) Used To Protect Quality, Spice, Phosphoric Acid, Color Added, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Citric Acid, Natural Flavor, Extractives of Paprika.

Yikes!



The nice part is you can use low-fat mayo, cutting down on the fat and calories.  I've used light mayo for years.  I swear it doesn't taste any different. I've been kinda smitten with the Olive oil based ones lately.

It's so easy and nice to have fresh tartar sauce just mixed up. It's just one less thing to buy and throw away.  Try it, I think you will like it.

  If you like what you see, then follow me!
FACEBOOK        PINTEREST         HOMETALK
  or subscribe on the side bar ☞


Where I'm partying: 




No comments:

Post a Comment