Wednesday, February 29, 2012

And the Oscar goes to. . .


Amy's 9th Annual Oscar Party



For the last three years I have been fortunate enough to be invited to my friend, Amy's, awesome Oscar party.  The party is awesome for many reasons but the top 3 reasons are:
1.  Girls only.
2.  It's a charity event.
3.  It's an excuse to buy a formal gown (basement bargains are highly encouraged).

Now if you know me, you know that thrifty is right up my alley and I consider it an extra challenge.  I did find a gown at JCPenney for $17, but I didn't really like it and knew I would never wear it again.  Which means it wasn't really a bargain.  So my search went on.  My gown this year came from Lord and Taylor.  Regular price of $190, but I got it for $34 (tax included).  What gave this dress an extra bonus in the frugal department is that after the party I took a chance, and threw it in the washer on hand wash.  So now it's all clean and new again at $0 additional dry cleaning costs! yeah me! 

This years party was at Coratti's in downtown Milford, MI.  They did a great job of hosting, but I am sure they never anticipated how loud 60 women could be!  The party is a formal affair, however you are encouraged to dress as an Oscar Nominee or any movie character from any era. 


The artist --> 
<-- classic formal wear
 Miss Piggy and Kermit

   
Narnia's Ice Queen and the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, a Kardashian, and Margaret Thatcher

This is Amy!

Some of the girls

Me and Amy

This year's charity, www.newhopecenter.net was chosen because Amy knew so
 many people who have 
lost a loved one this past year. New Hope Center for Grief Support is a

 non-profit bereavement outreach center in southeastern Michigan that

provides grief support services.  Providing financial support to a worthwhile 

charity is the cherry on the sundae at this event.  I can't thank Amy enough

 for being so sensitive to all of us that have lost a loved one.  It really 

touched my heart. :)  

more beautiful people
We are all given ballots and we vote for our favorites of the night.  Categories include: Sexiest Shoes, Best Cleavage,  Best  Dressed (which I won!), Best Bling, Vintage Vixon, Amy's New best Friend, and costume categories, among others. Amy hands out little Oscar's and certificates to the winners.  It's one of the most exciting parts of the night.  
Sexiest Shoes winner

Speeches are a fun part of accepting the awards.  

I hope you enjoyed hearing about this great party.  I love that people are willing to take so much time and effort just to give joy to others.  Amy works so hard to set this all up and really pours her heart into making sure the decorations and small details are not over looked.  From the red carpet to the baskets of vanity items in both the bathrooms (there are no men so we take over), to specialty drink menus, and great food selections.  Nothing is overlooked.  It's obvious everyone appreciates her efforts by the way the event sells out every year.  So thank you Amy! and no pressure,  but next year is your 10 year anniversary!  I just know it's going to be great!



2 comments: